You are what you eat – and getting the right foods in your body and those of your family can protect against lead absorption.
The Food Bank of Eastern Michigan in Flint and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services are sponsoring free mobile food pantry stops to distribute foods rich in calcium, vitamin C and iron throughout the month of April to locations across Flint.
Each eligible family will receive nutritional food such as tuna, baked beans, potatoes, cereal and carrots. The program is funded through the more than $249 million in state taxpayer funds that have been provided to help the residents of Flint. Flint families have received approximately 3 million pounds of food through the project. Food distribution sites remain open while supplies last.
Upcoming dates are:
• Tuesday, April 4, at noon – St. Michael Catholic Church, 609 E. Fifth Ave.
• Thursday, April 6, at noon – Our Savior Lutheran Church, 6901 N. Saginaw St.
• Friday, April 7, at 9:30 a.m. – Flint Muslim Food Pantry, 4400 S. Saginaw St.
• Wednesday, April 12, at 1 p.m. – Salem Lutheran Church, 2610 Martin Luther King Ave.
• Friday, April 14, at 9:30 a.m. – Flint Muslim Food Pantry, 4400 S. Saginaw St.
• Tuesday, April 18, at noon – St. Michael Catholic Church, 609 E. Fifth Ave.
• Wednesday, April 19, at 10 a.m. – Hispanic Tech Center, 2101 Lewis St.
• Friday, April 21, at noon – St. Luke’s New Life Center, 3115 Lawndale St.
• Tuesday, April 25, at 1 p.m. – New Birth Church, 3918 Blackington Ave.
• Wednesday, April 26, at 1 p.m. – Salem Lutheran Church, 2610 Martin Luther King Ave.
• Thursday, April 27, at 10 a.m. – Metropolitan Baptist Tabernacle, 930 E. Myrtle Ave.
• Thursday, April 27, at noon – United Methodist Community Center, 4601 Clio Road.
• Friday, April 28, at 10 a.m. My Brother’s Keeper, 101 N. Grand Traverse.
Information about additional food distribution dates will be announced as they are scheduled. For more information, visit the Food Bank website at www.FBEM.org or call 810-239-4441.
Editor’s note: To learn about delicious, healthy recipes that help protect against lead absorption, click on the plum-colored shield at: www.mihotm.recipes